Friday, March 15, 2013

Action Research Plan

Hello all!!! I hope you guys are having a wonderful, stress-free week 3. I went into this spring break thinking that I would have tons of extra time on my hands to do school work... NOT TRUE! Lol! After watching last night's web conference, I have made some changes to my action research plan to reflect expectations. Please take a look and let me know what you think! Please be as critical as you need to be... I want this to be right!!! Also, and ideas you may have to add to my plan, please let me know!


Action Research Plan
Research Question: How can our region develop a collaborative culture characterized by social studies teachers from different grade levels and school districts communicating, understanding and sharing expectations for all of our students? In what ways can I facilitate this process?

Goal: To promote collaboration among social studies teachers in their districts and throughout Region 5.
Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation

Survey social studies teachers, curriculum leaders/coaches, and principals from Region 5 regarding their views and opinions of collaboration within their school and among the region.







Bridget Kirby

Monica Mahfouz

March 18, 2013- March 29, 2013

Survey Monkey

“The Metlife Survey of the American Teacher: Collaborating for Student Success”

Review surveys to determine the regions views on collaboration. Analyze if and to what degree collaboration is currently practiced within districts and the region as a whole. Determine the teachers and administrators most desired means of collaboration.


Create Region 5 Social Studies Advisory Council made up of teachers, curriculum leaders, and administrators.







Bridget Kirby

Monica Mahfouz

April 1, 2013-
April 1, 2014

Interested social studies leaders who wish to participate

Meeting notes

Meeting calendar

Meet with Region 5 Council each month to discuss ways to better our social studies programs. Create a vision statement examining our true goal.  Evaluate strategies and methods for improvement. Determine needed professional development and discuss what is and is not working within the districts.
Keep detailed notes during each meeting.

Identify and share current research and literature examining collaboration among educators.







Bridget Kirby

Region 5 Social Studies Advisory Council

April 1, 2013-
July 31, 2013

Lamar University Library

Region 5 Educational Resource Library

Online journals

Share findings with Social Studies Advisory Council and the region’s stakeholders. Conduct a workshop on importance of collaboration.

Create Social Studies Facebook Group to enhance sharing of ideas, teaching strategies and tools.


Bridget Kirby

Johnny Vines

Monica Mahfouz

March 1, 2013

Facebook accounts for teachers



Observe collaboration among teachers and administrators in Facebook group. Regard nature of communication through social media.


Monitor social studies instruction by conducting classroom evaluations and observations. Conduct pre-observation and post-observation conference.








Bridget Kirby

Johnny Vines

September 1, 2012-March 31, 2014

Region 5 Walk-Through Tool

Region 5 Evaluation Tool

2012-2013 Evaluations and Observations

Determine areas of strength and weakness among the region’s social studies teachers. Analyze past walkthroughs and evaluations to discover areas of improvement. Share information with individual teachers and administrators and discuss ways for improvement.


Survey social studies teachers, curriculum leaders/coaches, and principals from Region 5 at years end to determine new ideals and beliefs about Region 5 collaboration.


Bridget Kirby

April 1, 2014

Survey Monkey

“The Metlife Survey of the American Teacher: Collaborating for Student Success”

At the end of the year review surveys to determine the region’s views on collaboration. Analyze any changes in opinions on collaborations within districts and the region as a whole. Determine effectiveness of methods of communication and collaboration.


Interview Region 5 Social Studies Advisory Council to determine satisfaction of Region 5 collaboration efforts. Video interview conversations to share with the region’s teachers.


Bridget Kirby

Region 5 Social Studies Advisory Council

Monica Mahfouz

Danny Lovett

April 1, 2014

Interview Questionnaire

Flip Camera





Review video to analyze views and opinions on the year’s progress toward a more collaborative community. Discuss any areas of needed improvement in order to sustain collaborative community.

10 comments:

  1. Bridget, I think you have chosen an excellent topic! The social media page for collaboration is a great idea. Looks like your plan is pretty solid. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridget,
    Your plan looks great and seems very thorough. It looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you...there will be a lot of data to analyze and record. I don't know if this will help, but maybe if you narrow down your group, which leads me to another question. How do you plan to choose the Region 5 Social Studies Advisory Council and how many people do you plan to have in the group? You may have already addressed these questions in developing your plan. I hope this will help in some way. Again, it looks very thorough. Great job! You can now breathe a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Casey!!! I have a social studies teacher listserv that I use to contact my teachers about upcoming activities and workshops. This listserv probably has around 150 teachers, so I will be conducting most of my research through that group. I will be sending the surveys and other research methods through that listserv, as well as providing paper/pencil surveys at workshops I conduct. I have already created the Facebook group and have sent an invite to all teachers on my listserv. I haven't really chosen the council, but I am thinking about sending an invitation to all teachers, administrators, and curriculum leaders from my listserv; then, whoever wants to be a part of this decision-making council will have the opportunity. What do you think???

    PS... thanks for your help!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds great! If you already have a list of teachers that you can pull from, that should work. You definitely want people who are interested in what you are doing so you get the best results. I see that you have made some revisions. I am hoping to meet with my site supervisor this afternoon to see if I need to make any changes myself.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bridget,

    Using collaboration is a great way to be better informed and get the best possible outcome. your plan is straight to the point and it looks good. I especially like the using of FB to share information and ideas. I will enjoy following your research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bridget: I'm sorry, I thought I had commented. I guess because we've been communicating on another post. I think your plan looks organized, detailed and thorough. I also like the idea of using FB to share your information and ideas. I think you have a big project ahead of you, but knowing your current position, you have chosen a great topic and one that I think you will be able to implement and complete.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jumping on the FB bandwagon, too! Great idea! I think the class FB group has been a lot of help (thanks, Scott) and by you using that to facilitate collaboration, you should have great participation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Tracey, I thought you had too!! Strange..lol! Thanks for the helpful comments on my whole process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great plan! I agree that it looks very involved and will big a huge undertaking but it will be invaluable. Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice and through plan. It looks like it will cover some important data that a lot of people can benefit from. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete