Thursday, March 7, 2013

It Takes Teamwork to Make the Dream Work!

“Collaboration allows teachers to capture each other's fund of collective intelligence.”
Mike Schmoker, Results
 “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much”
Helen Keller

Deciding on my action research project has proven to be a very difficult process for me so far. I have so many different topics I want to look at, but I have found that many of them are simply too large to take on in the short time frame have to complete this project. I have written question after question after question in the hopes of narrowing down the topic to a more manageable size. My original idea revolved around what I could do to help improve the social studies test scores for our region. Clearly, this topic would prove to be more of a dissertation than an action research plan! Thus, I have broken that topic down into various pieces so that I can focus on one specific facet. After breaking the topic down, I think I have a manageable, interesting, valuable topic to research.

The purpose of this research project is to promote collaboration among social studies teachers in their districts and throughout Region 5. Question: How can I promote collaboration among social studies teachers in their school districts and throughout Region 5? As the Social Studies Coordinator for Region 5, I have noticed a serious lack of collaboration among social studies teachers in our area, both within school districts and across school districts among similar teaching fields. Because of the nature of the social studies content, it is very difficult to see much vertical alignment. K-2 focuses on the students understanding of communities, social interactions, etc; 3rd grade extends that learning into a more clear understanding of our nation; 4th and 7th grade deals with Texas History; 5th and 8th grade works on American History before 1877; Other than that, the rest of the content act as islands among themselves: 6th grade--World Studies, 9th grade-- World Geography, 10th grade--World History, 11th grade U.S. History after 1877, and 12th grade-- Government and Economics.  Sadly, the lack of communication has put our teachers at an incredible disadvantage. With the implementation of the new TEKS, the use of Process Skills have developed. These skills begin in Kindergarten and extend throughout graduation. Teachers can no longer go into their classrooms, shut the door, and ignore the world around them. They must begin to work together to aid our students in understanding how to think about social studies.

I guess it's the coach in me, but I can understand in great detail the benefit of working together to achieve a goal. Several stakeholders will benefit as a result of this research. First and foremost, collaboration among our teachers will aid our students in better understanding social studies, and as a result their scores will be higher. If we work together to vertically align our content, the students will reap the benefits of learning the content with more continuity and fluidity. Likewise, if teachers work together across school districts, they can share ideas of what is working in another teacher's class. This leads to better instruction for the students. Teachers will also benefit greatly from this research. Working together with other social studies teachers within their districts will save teachers from having to reteach skills that should have been taught years before, thus eliminating gaps. Also, as teachers band together with others who teach the same content in other districts, they will not have to wrack their brains trying to come up with ideas for activities, intervention, and projects. Teachers can share what is working in their classrooms and in effect, work together to improve classroom instruction.

Any thoughts or ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help!!!

14 comments:

  1. I think this is a very interesting and important topic. I had the opportunity to work on a campus where collaboration was the expectation. It proved to be incredibly beneficial, and it's disappointing that my new campus has teachers working completely on their own, refusing to share any ideas with new teachers. I wish that my principal would make collaboration non-negotiable, but I don't know how he would do that without lowering morale. I'll be following your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say I am a very good team player and I love people and I guess that is why I am good of what I do. Leadership wise, I don't think I could see myself in the near future as a principal but you are so correct about collaboration and communication does proved beneficial, not just for us but also for the parents and students.

      Delete
    2. @Corina, I also worked in a school district in which collaboration was an expectation, so I didn't realize that it didn't happen like that everywhere. Now that I am spending large amounts of time in other school districts, I am seeing more and more that it has become a sort of way of life for social studies teachers. I would love to hear of any specific methods your former district used to impact collaboration. I am looking for actions to take to help our region.

      Delete
    3. @Edna, like you, I do not think I will be becoming a principal in the near future, so collaboration and communication is an area that I can work with, no matter what I choose to do in my future.

      Delete
  2. I used to teach social studies at the high school level...world geography, world history, and American history depending on the year. I think your action research plan is a great idea! How cool would it be for social studies teachers from all over region 5 to come together for a professional development day and actually leave with something really useful?? Considering the position you hold, you may be able to influence a lot of change in the social studies field...I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Casey! I am so glad to have the your expertise in this matter; I am thankful to have some social studies teachers in the mix!!! Wow... I see that you have tons of experience in the world of social studies! I look forward to hearing any ideas you may have as I move forward with the action research project. I know that change will not be easy, we social studies teachers have been set in our ways for a long time :), but I know it will be so very worth it in the end!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. As a former secondary history teacher I think your action research topic will be very helpful in bringing together and being on the same page. Collaboration is extremely important and beneficial for overall success. Will be keeping up with your blog to stay informed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana! I am so excited to have some history teachers in the mix! I look forward to hearing any ideas you may have regarding communication with social studies teachers. Any ideas you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  4. This is a topic near and dear to my heart! I also teach World Geography and I am the department chair. It is terribly difficult to get our team to work cohesively. With new demands on the STAAR test it is vitally important that we are all on the same page. This is similar to my action research project in that I will be implementing a new curriculum that will require our teachers to be more in line in hopes that our scores go up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci, thank you so very much for following my blog. I know that your expertise in this matter will benefit our teachers and students in a fantastic way! The STAAR test has definitely turned the social studies world inside out. I look forward to learning from you and your experiences. Likewise, I am happy that we have similar action research ideas. I hope you and I can work together and bounce ideas off of one another! Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Bridget, I agree that collaboration and communication are vital no matter what grade/subject area you teach. It is interesting to me that you are addressing social studies because on the elementary level in our district, social studies tends to be an afterthought...integrated into the language arts curriculum and is very weak. I don't know how big region 5 is, but my concern is that you might be trying to take on more than is feasible by one person over the course of 15 months or so. Perhaps you could focus on your campus/district. I think if you are able to see it to a regional level, you will have accomplished something amazing. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are probably right about the scale of this project!!! The only reason I am thinking of doing the whole region is that I am the Social Studies Program Coordinator for Region 5 ESC. I am not able to devote all of my time to a single district and must work with all social studies teachers throughout the region. I am hoping to do a lot of the work/research/data collection through our social studies listserv. I want to begin by sending out a survey (maybe done on survey monkey???) asking teachers to detail the nature of collaboration in their schools. Also, I hope to include questions regarding the ways they enjoy collaborating in hopes of better facilitating the collaboration process. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, knowing your current position as program coordinator I think that this is feasible. I was thinking from a classroom teacher's perspective and started to panic for you! haha I think you have a great idea and I have used Survey Monkey in the past and find it very user friendly...as long as people actually complete the surveys.

    ReplyDelete